WE need a larger/better server

For just about two hours i was the only op online on the server, hosting 25 guests, then juka joined later on and the total of guest number rounded 31, which lasted for about 2 min before the server crashed. I must admit that the server actually managed to run rather smoothly when low lag mode was set on, however my own map “Clitsmap” bugged like hell. Anyways, to sorta make a summary of what people said, they really requested space. Either we should delete guestcity and flatgrass more frequently or make more maps. what do you guys think?

besides that; andy can u please make ops available of undoing people’s action for longer than 5400 sec, it is very difficult to prevent grief when u have to notice it before 5400 sec has passed, especially if loads of people are online.

• Wipe the maps more frequently, don’t make new ones. The more maps loaded, the more strain on the server

• I actually can’t change the undo limits

As for the crashing, there’s nothing much I can really do about it unless someone’s willing to host this server on their own PC / help pay for a dedicated box (which is incredibly expensive).

Hi Andy,
I am just kind of curious how we could go about hosting the server on our PCs. I know it would have to be one computer, but how would you handle the expense of hosting it if it were on my computer?

Also, what kind of system specs would you need to do so?

I really don’t know that much about this. Would you be willing to explain how you do it? I think it may be educational for many.

If anyone is willing to experiment, I’d be happy to provide them with the nessesary software to run the server (it’s one program), the level data (bigcity, flatgrass, guestcity, etc), server configuration data (eg. settings, max players, default map, welcome messages, motd, etc).

Simply put, you just need to run the software once and keep it open (or minimise it to the tray). Most likely required specs would be:

• preferred minimum of 2gb ram
  • any half decent processor will do
  • hdd space is not really that much of an issue seeing as backups can be deleted/delayed/consolidated.
  • a Windows operating system would be much preferred as the software does not function too well under Linux (mono emulator) - which unfortunately is what we currently use
  • Microsoft .NET framework of at least version 3 is required.

Remember, the more ram and processing power, the better the capabilities of the server. One of the main things I’m concerned is that whoever hosts it has Windows. This would actually allow for the server to auto-reboot on crash (which is our main problem) and auto-update the software.

First things first, if anyone’s even considering this, I can direct you to the website in which you can download the software and I’ll be more than happy to help set it up.

edit: I should also mention, the server only stays open as long as the program is running. Therefore the computer running the server would have to remain on 24/7. That is the main reason we use a VPS - which is disgustingly bad for our requirements

my pc is capable of hosting the server, however the electric bill from having the pc turned on 24/7 tops my financial limits :frowning:

dont you have windows andy? the auto reboot script sounds like it will solve most of the problems XD

I am not hosting the server fatso, I’m running it off a box remotely (within a server farm in the US)

Andy can a laptop that has 4GB DD3 and has Processor 2.53 GHz INTEL CORE 2 DUO and has 250 GB HDD and if needed a 2T network HDD. Run the server

OR A MAC PRO THAT CAN RUN WINDOWS

Processing
Quad-core
One 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon W3530 ?Nehalem? processor
8MB of fully shared L3 cache per processor
Turbo Boost dynamic performance up to 3.06GHz
Hyper-Threading technology for up to 8 virtual cores

Memory
Dual-processor systems
2.4GHz system: 1066MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM
2.66GHz and 2.93GHz systems: 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM
Eight memory slots (four per processor) supporting up to 32GB of main memory using 1GB, 2GB or 4GB DIMMs

Storage
Up to 8TB of internal storage6 in bays 1 through 4 using hard drives or solid-state drives in the following capacities:
1TB or 2TB hard drives, Serial ATA 3Gb/s, 7200 rpm, 32MB cache
512GB solid-state drive, Serial ATA 3Gb/s
Optional Mac Pro RAID Card with 512MB cache and 72-hour cache battery backup7
18x SuperDrive with double-layer support (DVD?R DL/DVD?RW/CD-RW)

SO ANDY THE LAPTOP MAC BOOK PRO OR THE MAC PRO

Or you can use a IBM computer
IBM System x3400 M3

AND ANDY THE SERVER IS DOWN

Hey Vizzone,
Your specs beat me by miles. I have 2 gigs of ram, but my processor is only a 2.2 single core. I keep it on constantly, but running the server would hinder all else I do. This would be great if we could get this setup.

THEN MY MAC CAN RUN IT

The mac would be perfect (provided you use Windows).

Take a stab at running the server software.
http://www.mclawl.tk/archives/zip/mclawl_r67.1.2.zip

Instructions for installation can be found here:

Will be gone for 3 days so specialk will be in charge of rebooting the server if it goes out.
If all goes well vizzone, I’ll pass you our actual server files and configurations :slight_smile:

Andy running a server on my mac is all right but it will not last for ever as i have a lot of problems my mac does not have enough processing power i need to have at least 4 cores to run the server at its best and i have done stress tests with it and my mac can run 2 maps with some lag at all but it as well it is over heating my mac to 94 c and it is using all my RAM and my computer is freezing if i run the server in the long run will die in 5 months or less . my laptop is not made for networking i am so sorry i am trying my best i am seeing if i can get a better mac or (x server) or a IBM server computer but the price of getting them is very expensive
I am sorry Andy :frowning:

Darn, I was getting excited. You seemed so sure that one of your systems could help too…

Anyone else have something that can do the job?

It would be great if I could rig my PS3 to run the server. They are certainly powerful enough. I have also refrained from upgrading my software on it so I may keep the “other OS” option. If I ran linux on it, could it do it? Has anyone tried?

A PS3 processor is very powerful but as well as i said about my mac book pro the system is not made for networking OR servers it is just not made for it the hardware will suffer we need a computer or X server. we can get a mac mini or mac pro or a IBM because most IBM computers are made fore networking and as well as the two macs i was talking about that apple has changed to preform networking and act as a server as apple are stopping to make X servers

But no body has ever tried turning a PS3 in to run a server so i would not say it cant be done just i say it is not a good idea.

andy i am not going to give up i will try again when i get a new computer that is 3 times more power ful then the mac i am using right now.

Guys I will be getting a laptop (defo not mac book) but ive got 10 grand so any ideas wat laptop to get? ive got my eye on one its called the “dell inspiron 50” and it has an intel
i-core prossesor. so if you have any ideas just post em up ;D coz im so confuddled…