PCBT, Rules need to be limited

While appreciate your attempt at in-game taunting, you are missing the point. There have been several staff members who have said that this is ridiculous, and will cause problems. That is what is happening. The concept is noble, but the execution is and has been very negative. You have much to work on to change the image of PCBT to turn it into a positive entity of the server.

This applies to anyone who believes PCBT needs to be reduced/closed/whatever:

We cannot read your minds. Tell us what is wrong with the changes we have made. Saying that it “seems silly” is ok, but we want criticism of Phase 2. We have changed the way PCBT operates, but people are still complaining about the same things as before. Please go to the PCBT information thread, read the stuff about Phase 2, and criticise it. We are open to criticism and have changed because of it, but we cannot continue to change if people do not tell us what they think.

Please just reread madant’s last 2 posts, then reread these:

I don’t believe that the guidelines issue is relevant any more.

If you connect to the PCBT network (what we already have), you follow our rules because you’re connecting to our network.
If you want to make your own network then:

Have a purpose - Don't duplicate what's already been done, innovate! (This applies to destinations and types) Be well planned - A lot of the mess last map was caused by people expanding without reason Look nice - Although this is more of a guideline than a rule, try to use built trains, rather than minecarts. Remember: Train lines don't magically float by themselves

We’re not making guidelines for the latter case, as that would be too restrictive. With the former case we’re using rules as this is a standardised network.

In the case of major decisions, we have had staff polls (Example: deregulating airports). However, as ruby said, we’re making decisions that need to be made quickly, so it is a few people deciding. Again, Phase 2 resolves this because the guidelines are so open, I’ll be impressed if someone spends more than five minutes coming up with their idea and fails to meet them. PCBT Core will still be running with the same system, because it is no longer all the transport on the server, it’s a set of lines.

I’ve responded to the rest of this post by madant.

There have been several staff members who have said that this is ridiculous, and will cause problems. That is what is happening.
Yes, there have been problems, that's why we changed the system.

As for the stuff you quoted ruby, I’m a bit unsure as to which system you are referring to. See the response to madant’s complaint about a couple of people running the show.

From your thread:

This just puts people off. Anything that stands in the way of people building what they otherwise would be well within their rights to build, is just a waste of time and effort for all parties.

Unless it leads to a greater build quality and diversity.

The “maybe try and link up” part is there to reduce time and effort for both parties. If you want to make a line from A to C then B, and someone wants to do C to B, it’s much easier for both people to join up, and it’s easier for us as we have to do less.

[size=24pt]EVERYBODY IS MISSING THE POINT OF THIS.
This was supposed to be about a single train line which was removed, which WASN’T EVEN NOTICED BY THE OWNER until I TOLD him about it - and THEN he kicks up a shitstorm, and now everyone wants complete and utter anarchy!
You want PCBT to end? You genuinely want all kinds of regulations to clean up and improve bad builds and improve the look of the server to just go away? If this goes to a public poll, and the public decides yes, then sure.
Fuck if I care.
You’ll just be back to square one and before you know it more Acra Cities, YoshiRails and National Railways will start popping up like rabbits, and everything will be like it was just like in the old 5th creative map. Don’t come fucking crying to me if that happens, you would have brought it upon yourselves.
Maybe you’re right. Maybe we shouldn’t get concerned if two shitty towns in the middle of fucking nowhere want to connect via a single minecart rail. But that doesn’t mean we should withdraw from all public attention and leave everyone to decide what to do with themselves!
Improving the server and its build quality isn’t a waste of time or effort. It’s a net gain - people like Octo, Amphi and I get to build trains, which is good, and everyone else gets much nicer looking train lines, which is also good.
People like Ruby and Madant, I hope you realize that you don’t have to have a train line. It’s not a prerequisite for owning a good town like having a /warp is. In fact, as of Phase 2, you can have a train line without going by the frankly pretty lenient rules of PCBT. I don’t see what your problem is. You’re not being harassed with directions and complaints that your station is one block too short. So maybe stop acting all high and mighty and we the people about it and maybe let the people who ARE feeling like their build styles are being restricted by PCBT speak up for once!
You’re not the server, and the server’s not you.

@Asmodean_ is being a bit harsh, but still, if we hadn’t made this in the first place, the same people (you know who you are) would be crying about how horrible the deregulation looks.

You can’t please 'em all.

Yes. I do.

You genuinely want all kinds of regulations to clean up and improve bad builds and improve the look of the server to just go away?
Yes, I want to get rid of all the bullshit rules and regulations you have put in place WITHOUT EVEN ASKING.
You'll just be back to square one and before you know it more Acra Cities, YoshiRails and National Railways will start popping up like rabbits, and everything will be like it was just like in the old 5th creative map. Don't come fucking crying to me if that happens, you would have brought it upon yourselves.
If I remember correctly, the only ones 'crying' about it, were octo and yourself. Sure I'd like stuff to look nice, but on the creative map, I don't give a shit. As long as someone has had FUN making it, we've done our job as a server.
But that doesn't mean we should withdraw from all public attention and leave everyone to decide what to do with themselves!
It's a freebuild map. Letting everyone decide what to do with themselves is EXACTLY what we should be doing.
Improving the server and its build quality isn't a waste of time or effort. It's a net gain - people like Octo, Amphi and I get to build trains, which is good, and everyone else gets much nicer looking train lines, which is also good.
Cool, about 5 people get to have fun while everyone else is given a 'fuck you'. But hey, aesthetics are marginally improved, so of course it was a good thing... (That last sentence was sarcastic)
People like Ruby and Madant, I hope you realize that you don't have to have a train line. It's not a prerequisite for owning a good town like having a /warp is. In fact, as of Phase 2, you can have a train line without going by the frankly pretty lenient rules of PCBT.
Of course I understand that. But according to your PCBT rules, you STILL have to get APPROVAL to bypass the rest of them.
I don't see what your problem is. You're not being harassed with directions and complaints that your station is one block too short.
[size=small]The point is, at least one person has been harassed for exactly those reasons. They actually wrote the original post of this thread. You do realise harassment is against the server rules, right? Like, the actual server rules, not the train track rules...
So maybe stop acting all high and mighty and we the people about it and maybe let the people who ARE feeling like their build styles are being restricted by PCBT speak up for once!
They DID speak up, in the original post of this thread. And from what I can tell, the only reason they stopped speaking up for themselves was because you practically BULLIED them out of it.
You're not the server, and the server's not you.
Neither is PCBT. You can't tell me not to 'act high and mighty' and then drop that shit on the floor.

Honestly, I thought the almighty Staff had discussed this before the map reset. In any case, PCBT is obviously not able to handle the volume of approvals/planning that is required by the current Creative map. If the entire process were more transparent and more people handled requests, I think things would work out much better. Much of the frustration seems to be caused by lack of communication and long delays for replies.

Anyways, if shit hits the fan, I’m so ready for National Railways 2.0. I pretty pinky promise to keep things neater this time. ;D

We discussed it, but never voted on it. They just kinda decided they were going to push on with it, despite people objecting.

We’ve gotta plan it! I think PCBT is going to be a bust sooner or later.

Angel, we don’t have any issues with volume. We have had a single request, which requires some heavy planning, hence the delay.

For you ruby, here is an acceptable “application”:
I want to build a freight railway from my docks to the nearby town x. I have permission from the town owner. I’m planning on making my own carriages for this. It’s my dock, so there isn’t any other line.

That’s it. No forms. That took me just under a minute, on my phone. The review process is quite literally “Have they put any level of thought into this?”. In the example above, they have a plan and permission. That’s ok.

Think of it as less than an application, and more of a public announcement. The chances are, they’d end up putting that at least on the forums.

I also took a look at a small segment of the railway yoshi removed. For some reason, I didn’t connect it to a railway I discovered. I sent ryan at least three or four mails telling him that he wasn’t allowed to do that, spaced over a number of weeks. No response. Nothing. I even asked some people to talk to him if they saw him, and tell him to respond. Nope…

Oh and ruby, we told him that if he didn’t respond to what we said, there was no point continuing the discussion. We even summarised some of our counter-arguments in chat, to which he replied stuff like “I think that explains itself”. In the end, he just said to lock the thread. I took that to mean he couldn’t be bothered to respond to what he said. I mean, look at what ryan has said in this post apart from the OP.

I don’t like PCBT it needs to be ended. Its completely unnecessary

And that is another example of unhelpful replies. Ok, you don’t like PCBT. Do you have any complaints about phase 2? How could we improve?

You know what I feel?
I feel that PCBT is just a stat.
I feel that the whole point of PCBT is to try to attract people to the server by saying something like “Oooh! Look how pretty our train lines are!”.
I also think that the point of PCBT is saying “Our train lines are 50% prettier than [server name]'s server”

THOSE PEOPLE WHO ARE ALREADY ON THE SERVER AREN’T GOING TO QUIT BECAUSE THERE JUST SO HAPPENS TO BE A TRAIN LINE THAT ISN’T “PRETTY”!

They might, however, quit because someone is bullying them into building a “pretty” railway. Whatever that (S)OP thinks looks nice may not even be something that the majority of people think looks nice.

People don’t gain any enjoyment from watching people build “pretty” trainlines for them. That defeats the whole point of creative minecraft. The whole point of creative minecraft is to be - wait for it, wait for it, you’ll never guess what it is -CREATIVE, and not to watch someone do something for them, that they have little or no control over. I like Creative because of that warm, fuzzy feeling that I get when I have finished building whatever I have finished building.

I hope you see my point of view;

Max

Phase 2 applications are not judged on quality. I posted a good app earlier up the thread. All you need to do is put a tiny bit of effort into it, it will take you a few minutes. And again, please read the thread before commenting. You’re allowed to make your own lines in your own style.

Copied it here:
I want to build a freight railway from my docks to the nearby town x. I have permission from the town owner. I’m planning on making my own carriages for this. It’s my dock, so there isn’t any other line.

Why is this even necessary? Just let people build it. If people want to tell you where their train lines are, that’s fine, but it shouldn’t be a requirement.

Oh and ruby, we told him that if he didn't respond to what we said, there was no point continuing the discussion. We even summarised some of our counter-arguments in chat, to which he replied stuff like "I think that explains itself". In the end, he just said to lock the thread. I took that to mean he couldn't be bothered to respond to what he said. I mean, look at what ryan has said in this post apart from the OP.
Yes, he expressed concern, and you basically told him he was wrong, and to keep his opinions to himself. It's only since spllat, madant and myself got involved that you actually provided any kind of solution to any of his complaints.

We literally told him the exact opposite. We told him he should read what we said, think about it, and reply. We even gave him specific segments he could reply to.

Having a list of train lines doesn’t benefit us in the slightest. It benefits everyone else by having an up to date list. In fact, let’s scrap the approval. Just post in the thread and off you go. That way, people can see if someone has already done what they’re doing.

Just repeating that: Post a short summary of what you’re doing. That’s it. You can then build your own train line.

If you don’t post in the thread, we won’t nuke it, we won’t send someone to kill you in your sleep, we’ll remind you that it benefits everyone and will take a few minutes.

If it doesn’t benefit you, why bother making it a requirement? Once again, if they WANT to make a post about it, that’s fine, but it SHOULD NOT BE A REQUIREMENT.