PCBT, Rules need to be limited

If people want their cities connected to the PCBT network, they need to follow our rules about stations.
If people want to make their own lines, they will shortly be able to do so, providing they will actually add something to the creative map, and not just make the nth passenger minecart railway.
With a lot of buildings, it’s an impulse decision, but if you want to create a railway between multiple cities, you’d need to ask permission from those city owners anyway.

I’d like to give a paraphrasing of the conversation that occurred between myself and another member about the aforementioned trial of Phase 2:
Member: Hey octo, I want to build a line between my city, and airport and another city. Is this allowed?
Me: It doesn’t fall under the scope of the PCBT project, so go ahead.
Member: Right, thanks.

Under the proposed stuff for Phase 2, this would be allowed because it has a purpose. An airport shuttle line is not what we do as part of our main project, so the member was allowed to do it. They already had built one of the stations, and a small section of track, and it was fairly well made so it would actually add something to the creative map, not detract from it.

What route do you want your line to go?

Thank for rethinking due to my post. Sorry about the “shouting match” on my post though. I think PCBT should stay, but first, you have to loosen up the rules. Are we cool now, or nah?

Putting this in a separate post for you @jmvvana :

JmvRail would be allowed in Phase 2, providing it has an actual purpose. Is there already a transport connection between the cities it would serve?

Can I upvote this twice?

[youtube]hHkKJfcBXcw[/youtube]

Yes. Yes I do.

http://projectcitybuild.com/forums/index.php?topic=10854.0

Phase 2 has been rolled out, read that post for more information. I see phase 2 as a good solution to this problem, as it’s half full control, half complete freedom.

I… don’t know how this thread got so long without that being posted.

Not for the children: #TheChugLife
[youtube]xFSwIw-_-as[/youtube]

Anyways…
If nobody adds anything productive within 24h I’ll lock this thread, as we’ve officially responded by introducing Phase 2 sooner.

Sorry for posting on this several times. Thank you for (possibly) allowing me to make JmvRail. I wont start it until you give me the official OK. For a few of the cities, not yet. As of right now my goal is to go to south from Belport to Budapest, to Donton, to another city. In the future, I have a few more plans, but I havent thought them through yet. Thank you again.

This isn’t the go ahead. He’s asked some questions.

PROPOSAL TO PCBT

Hello,
I have a suggested Change to the southern PCBT layout, if you will hear me out. I am working off a slightly outdated map so bare with me please.

You’ll see that I’ve also renamed some of the lines. Please ignore this because I got the position around the wrong way.

I think it will server the south east corner better. It will also serve Gibraltar better, as previous maps required a line running north to south terminating at gibraltar, however, due to a Snow mountains biome and ocean being in the way, I don’t think it would have looked good. This way the line runs south to north into gibraltar through a plains biome, going around a mesa biome, through the 2 southern cities (Whiterun and the unnamed city), then curves to run north for clarita through (mostly) plains and some forrest.

Just a note for those who are unaware, even though these places look close together on the rail map, Gibraltar and Clarita are over 3K block apart. The ocean mentioned in-between Clarita and Gibraltar is 2000x1500 blocks and not easily passable or would be quite exhausting to go around.

Other information:

Clarita’s PCBT station is already set in a North/South layout, meaning the proposed plant to continue the blue line south would work fine.

ALTERNATIVE:

My alternative suggestion if PCBT wishes to keep the current layout (Clarita to Silvermoor to Gibraltar) I would request the line runs under the ocean rather than down through the snow biome as originally planned.

This would terminate in an Underground station in Gibraltar.

Thanks for your time,
VRA.

Imo this has now dissolved into another PCBT thread, the disccussion has ended. Needs locking or a choice to be made. Just saying…

So, following your logic, if I see something that I don’t like (as tastes are relatives) , let’s take for example someone else’s town, it gives me the right to regulate towns on this server and make them follow this rules that I stablished, right? Or did I get everything wrong?

PCBT could have some TIPS and HELP, people on building their own rail lines or whatever you guys do, as Ouhai said, guidelines to help people build them, not FORCE them to seek for approval of you guys. FFS, this is a PUBLIC creative server, as long as it isn’t offensive or that puts in cause somebody else buildings, everything should be allowed.

Ofc, I don’t want rail lines crossing the whole map, so instead of focusing in controlling everything, why don’t you guys try to come up with some ideas to make the Rails and Airports and whatever useful, as, I believe, nobody uses them to move between cities. Idk, use like command blocks on detection rails.

@SpllatPT For the fifth time, we’re not using rails / minecarts, so we wouldn’t use detection rails…

This is another issue I have. Apparently PCBT is restricting people from making working railways… Why?

We’re constructing using built railways, as we decided that not many people actually use railways as railways, so we made them purely aesthetic. We’re not stopping people from making Phase 2 applications if they’re planning on making a functional railway, but real railways look better.

Please read the post before commenting on it, emphasis mine:

Although this is more of a [b]guideline[/b] than a rule, try to use built trains, rather than minecarts.

We have a thread for discussion of PCBT matters, use it please. Locking this one.

I am not a fan of locking an active thread that is clearly debating valid ideas, even if they are not your own.

Spllat and Ruby have some very valid points. The way the entire process has been framed is one of power and bureaucracy. It has come across as if there are a couple of people who make all the decisions, and anyone else must follow the rules, or else. If this is not the case, you truly need to refocus your attempt.

I personally think that the entire idea should be scrapped. I saw nothing wrong with the many different rails and paths leading to other towns. If friends wanted to build a link between the two, let them. If someone wants to build an airport, let them. Quite frankly, what PCBT builds is not my favourite style. I don’t like the idea of one standardized way of building across the entire map. If that were the case, everything would be medieval themed. Once again, I think PCBT is overextending it’s reach and authority, and needs to be shut down.

tl;dr this thread, but like I’ve said, the whole thing seems silly to me. Unnecessary and will cause problems.

They can, see Phase 2.

If someone wants to build an airport, let them.
They can. People said they didn't like that regulation, we listened.
Quite frankly, what PCBT builds is not my favourite style. I don't like the idea of one standardized way of building across the entire map.
Also see phase 2.

Phase 2 creates a solution which takes the views of both sides. The initial “PCBT is the one true railway” phase is over, as was always the intention. With Phase 2, we have a halfway house between previous regulation and no regulation. People can make their own railways, but without complete deregulation that lead to the absolute mess that was the last map.

Once again, I think PCBT is overextending it's reach and authority,
Our authority is significantly less than was initially proposed in the staff section, when it included [b]complete control [/b] of most methods of transport, and there were no plans for any reduction of that. There were a few minor complaints, just people saying how they think it is unnecessary.

Since then, we’ve scrapped all forms of transport except for trains and allowed people to build their own lines, which incidentally there are a surprisingly few number of people (0) asking for, considering the amount of “muh train freedoms” comments.

We heard you when you complained about air and sea ports. We stopped regulating them.
We heard you when you complained about not being able to make your own lines, you now can. It’s up to you to actually do that though.