Grammar Discussion

*Vaio *Grammar *Nazi

Sorry… You mentioned ‘Grammar Nazi’ and I had to! xD

The G in grammar doesn’t have to be capitalized.

‘Grammar Nazi’ is a name, so it does. xD

The word grammar itself is not a name nor a title given to someone. It’s only definition is that of structural rules regarding words and phrases in a specific language. Only Nazi is capitalized because of its historical political importance as the Nazi Party for Germany.

That’s different than, say, Lady Gaga. Lady is a word to describe a female, but as we know it’s part of the name of the famous singer Lady Gaga. In this case we capitalize both words because it’s part of her name that she adopted for herself.

Now if someone famous were to adopt the name grammar Nazi or if someone on the forums had used it as their user/screen name then we would capitalize both.

lrn2semantics

I can’t believe yo took the time to type that out just to prove me wrong…

‘Grammar Nazi’ is a title given to someone if they are being pedantic about grammar. You use the capitalisation because it is a title like you would for example: Lord Byron.

Titles are always capitalised because if you were to type: ‘lord Byron’ you would grammatically incorrect. Therefore the same applies to the title of ‘Grammar Nazi’.

Lord is a title itself so it’s almost always capitalized, name after it or not. Lord, someone of high status and/or rulership over others. Grammar is still not a title nor is it recognized as one. You wouldn’t say ‘Grammar Ruby’ or ‘Grammar Capitalist’. That would be incorrect.

I believe Ruby is correct. The title is indeed a slang term, but is still recognized by nearly everyone as being a title. The title itself is ‘Grammar Nazi’, not just the “Grammar” part. Indeed, that would be silly if the title were Grammar…

Now presenting - The Grammar Nazi Lord Kyle.

YEAH! I never give up when I believe I’m right and this time, it paid off!

There’s a difference between being a grammar Nazi and being the Grammar Nazi… sooooo you’re both wrong… or right depending on how you look at it.

It isn’t settled just because Kyle put in his 2 cents. It’s still grammatically incorrect to capitalize the word grammar. Internet slang doesn’t count because the laws of grammar mean nothing on here.

Tell me why you don’t capitalize the S in scaredy-cat? It’s in the same boat as grammar Nazi. One is defined as a person who is scared/frightened easily. The other is someone who constantly corrects someones spelling. They’re both used as a way to describe someone. So why would you capitalize the G in grammar Nazi and not the S in scaredy-cat?

The simple answer is you don’t.

Good show old boy. If you still have a rebuttal than allow me to move all posts regarding this debate to the appropriate section where we may continue our petty feud of politically correct grammar on the Internet.

But… you do capitalise the S in ‘Scaredy-cat’…

Well, I figure if this is going to continue, I should at least give some references for my opinion.

The pic here is a joke, but was related.

Wikipedia redirects you, but it does list Grammar Nazi as being capitalized.

Another wiki page had several versions of the words which had different capitalization. Probably not reliable.

Overall, I see the term used both ways. If it is a formal title, then it is all caps. If not, then Nek is right.

PS. scaredy-cat is lowercase. I could not find any capitalized versions of it.

Oddly enough, I think R33bok may be right. His version emphasizes the title concept.

[attachment deleted by admin due to data loss]

That's different than, say, Lady Gaga. Lady is a word to describe a female, but as we know it's part of the name of the famous singer Lady Gaga. In this case we capitalize both words because it's part of her name that she adopted for herself.

Nek. Lady Gaga is a male. Get your facts straight.
Here is what it should of said.

That's different than, say, Lady Gaga. Lady is a word to describe a female or transvestite, but as we know it's part of the name of the famous singer Lady Gaga. In this case we capitalize both words because it's part of his name that he adopted for himself.

I think this whole thing is just a bad idea. It causes people to dislike one another for no real reason.

I don’t dislike Nek, and I’m sure he doesn’t dislike me either, we just disagreed on this point.

Sometimes it’s fun arguing over nothing… (Pepsi’s better than Coke and Xbox is better than PS3)… :slight_smile: Also, I am right… the difference in being a grammar Nazi or the Grammar Nazi is the key here. Take the Seinfeld episode for example, its not titled “a soup Nazi” it’s titled “the Soup Nazi”

You guys should enjoy this

Well I have a cat

Wiki cannot be a reliable source in this case.

I searched “grammar nazi” (without capitalizing either word) and it redirected me with the words “Redirected from Grammar nazi”. Wiki was wrong in this case as it capitalized grammar but not Nazi. But if you look at the wiki page for Nazi you will see Nazism in popular culture. It lists grammar Nazi as a popular phrase. If you notice, it doesn’t capitalize the G in the sentence.

And yes, there has never been an instance where the S in scaredy-cat is capitalized, unless it’s at the start of a sentence.

R33BOK also brings up a valid point with titles. The Grammar Nazi and a grammar Nazi are different things. As for your link, I’ve always put a space in ‘a lot’ ever since middle school. It’s kinda stuck with me and I still sometimes correct people on it.

No I don’t harbor any ill-feelings towards Ruby, I did enjoy this argument though. Smashing good show if I do say so myself.

I believe this topic was quite enlightening. I had not realized how complicated it would be. I don’t believe this discussion got out of hand. If we were yelling at each other, then it would need to be stopped. As it was, the conversation had me fired up in “nerd talk” as it was called.

I now believe that R33B0K was correct. It depends on the usage of the words.

How’s your cat doing geee?