Gigantic Freeway (For After the Reset)

After many people commented about the gigantic size that over 100 blocks wide would be for a highway I decided to make a significantly smaller design So here goes:

So I want to make a sort of freeway to connect the new cities after the reset. I just need some w/e help so that It doesn’t take months xD It’ll be 5 block wide lanes, 5 lanes each way (10 total), Train rails going each way (2 total), and 5-10 blocks for aesthetics. In total that would be around 70 blocks wide. I took some screenshots of the new model here http://imgur.com/a/YMF7k . Anyone who would like to help just reply or mail me ig. If you would like to connect to the highway either your roads need to be 5 blocks wide or you need to have a train station to connect to. Thanks for reading and leave any suggestions down below :slight_smile:

thats uh, large

Highway looks cool! Although are you going to do it before or after the reset?

Look at the name of the post @Dantosky

I would maybe like my city connected to the highway. The rails are 5, but my roads are 7.
Maybe it can just be a small extention of the highway, connecting it up the the big one.

[move]-Japser[/move]

@verajasper I think I could make that work. I’m not 100% sure if I’m going to do this project yet so don’t rely on it but if I do I’ll help connect your city.

I… don’t really get it.
Highways can be cool yeah, but this is so large, I feel like it will mostly take up a lot of space. And a lot of the visual appeal of highways comes from curves and intersections, but this looks more like it would just a straight line most of the time. Especially because there usually won’t be a purpose to trying to conform to the land, because a flat road like that is going to conform to plains and desert, and that’s pretty much it. It will be a lot harder to thread it through/wrap around hills and mountains.

Oh also you say 20 lanes each way? I only see 20 total.

@Lyra_ciel Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll figure out some designs that will add some curve and make it more than just an unnatural straight line. As for the other terrain, If I get this w/e then I’ll spend a lot of time terraforming the terrain around the freeway so that it looks more natural (Like with mountains I’ll add cliffs or tunnels) but if I don’t get w/e help I’m sure that most of the time would be spent on building the actual road (due to it’s great size). I most likely won’t even go ahead with the project without w/e help. and with the 20 lanes each way I meant 20 lanes total that go each way (10 one way and 10 the other) I didn’t want it to seem like a one way 20 lane highway :confused:

If your gonna make the highway, ask @NoelTheUltimate for where it has to go, since I’m away the first two weeks of the new world. When I’m back we can do the detial and make it line up.

why so many lanes? it’s 2-3 at most at many cities

@Yomigaere I put so many lanes cause I knew It would raise some eyebrows and attract some attention. I might consider cutting some lanes if people don’t like the 10 lane idea. I also did it cause it’s original (I mean, what kinda crazy person makes a 20 lane total freeway xD). I also want it to be pretty sizable so you can atleast see it zoomed out pretty far on the dynamap.

Maybe build this at the one edge of the world border so it doesn’t take up much space and block a lot of other people’s roads, train tracks and cities

This highway is wider than some towns

imo this is wayy too big 2-3 lanes are fine 4-5 are @Filipingus style 6+ is unnecessary
this would take way too much time, imagine actually going through with it, it would look so empty ghost towns would start feeling jealous. It would loose its visual appeal by a shit ton, sure it would raise eyebrows but its not worth it

I do however like the idea of connecting cities with physical forms of transport (highway, road, train, etc)

I’d support 2-3 lanes at most, this will block hundreds of thousands of blocks where people can make cities.

Exactly, and due to the size of the project, trust me, most (all) of the huge projects done on this server were abandoned. It is possible for you to get w/e help, but not integral since staff can’t be 100% of the time w/eing the road. And, if we are doing a road, why not doing it connecting cities? like, we wait for big cities to develop and then we connect them with roads/tracks? just my 0.2 cents.

Please don’t use a quote as your reply, upvote instead.

Also, I’d love to help with this project, I think PCB’s creative map would do very well with having cities connected by rail and road. I propose a different design though.

I propose 3 lanes minimum on either side outside of city/developed areas that are rural and where exits are far apart, with rail in the median. Lanes will be 5 wide, left shoulders 2 wide, right shoulders 4 wide. Both shoulders will include rumble strips, and the freeway will have cateyes on the pavement along with lighting throughout.

Curves are not an issue with 3 lanes each side, and will be both high quality and appealing to the eye without butchering the terrain surrounding the right of way.

As for urban areas, 3 lanes minimum in small cities, 4 lanes minimum in mid-tier cities, 5 lanes minimum in large cities or metro areas, and 6 lanes minimum in high-density urban areas. This is alot more realistic than 10 lanes and allows for easier curves and ramp construction.

I plan to build Columbus, OH for the next creative map, so I’d love to have my city connected to this network. We can discuss more IG and I’m happy to worldedit if it makes sense to move forward with this, as it stands, 10 lanes is overkill, sorry.

After reading all of your comments on the size I think I’m going to keep that project for a singleplayer world and we can make a version significantly smaller for the actual server. I’m thinking cutting it down to 5 lanes going each way (10 total), Train rails going each way, and possibly some extra space for some aesthetics or shrubbery. I’m gonna change that in the post and make a new model.

im still unmoved in that anything more than 3 lanes is too much

The composition between building and road will be way of.
everything will look mechanical.
I’d strongly recommend against anything bigger then 3 lanes
why not put more effort into something like route 66 tourist style road between cities?
you’re just going to end up destroying mountains and beautiful biomes to build a clunky road that will never be looked at and all the cities that will be build would have to adjust to those specific sizes which i can guarantee not every city will want to do because it just looks unnecessary over the top wide and takes away a lot of building space for actual creative builds.

look at real pictures of 5-10 lane roads. They are Never beautiful they are only for function and it is a function a build city doesn’t need

oh and look at some dutch road civil engineering designs for combining roads with water roads and train tracks
The dutch are famous for finding solutions (we got a hanging bicycle round-a-bout http://imgur.com/FdMalAQ)

i just thought… cycling roads?