Private Servers

Im working on a server for me and my friends, and i wanted to know 2 things. One, how do i find the IP the server uses to connect? and two, how do i apply plugins to the server?

The Ip: Google Whats My IP (Ip):Port#
Plugins should be folder if your using Bukkit.

i tried using my ip with the port :25565, and it wont load, i can only access the server from localhost

You most likely havent port fowarded correctly, check it.

it says this upon startup.
[INFO] Starting minecraft server version 1.2.5
[INFO] Loading properties
[INFO] Starting Minecraft server on *:25565
[INFO] Preparing level “world”
[INFO] Default game type: 0
[INFO] Preparing start region for level 0
[INFO] Done (0.962s)! For help, type “help” or “?”

have you checked with a port checker? start the server and leave it up then use this http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

just type in your port and test it, it will show on the server and on the website if it worked or not

it says closed, and the server only starts up when i dont have an IP chosen. *:25565 works, but (My IP):25565 doesnt.

You’re gonna need to set up port forwarding on your router to let other people connect to your server. For this to happen, you have to have access to your router’s settings page.

just figured that out. Forgot the username-password combo :confused:

:o It’s been so long since i tried to set up my own server. I decided to quite since i had/have crapy internet and it would lag so bad. I also don’t have near enough ram to be able to support a good server. I would go and see how to run one on a flash drive but i would need to have good internet for the server to not lag so bad right?

Zak, you know there are ways around that password issue, right? First thing you should try is to look up the defaults online. Search for whatever brand of Router you are using. Next, check the router itself. They often have them written on the thing!

If you have a custom password, you might want to do a hard reset. I recommend reading a bit about your router before doing so. It would erase any saved profiles or settings.

Myth, crappy internet would pose a problem. There are actually several requirements that sneak up on you. RAM, HD space, CPU, and internet. Power bill?

Yeah i think the only thing that wasn’t working against me on that server i was setting up was power bill. XD It is a bad idea to run a server on a laptop i guess. :stuck_out_tongue: So i decided to stop running my server. Then a few months ago one of my friends came up to me and asked me to help him run a server, he said he would pay for it. So i said yes, and ended up doing nearly everything except for paying for it. I was very happy to not have to pay for the server, so i didn’t mind doing all the technical stuff. If i ever manage to get a good computer and good internet then i would probably run my own server, but that is very unlikely.

I actully Want to run a little test server on my desktop, who knows, it might work I am in charge of anything with a AI at my house or anything that uses internet, so…
Hopefully it wont be too difficult

Since this got bumped lol, I will just say that i gave this up. Dad changed Wifi password, so i cant access it. Also, I am not putting any kind of effort to make a server, so I guess I can lock this.