Petition to Disable Growth Ticks

Self explanatory really, Looking to see what everyone thinks about disabling growth ticks, This would include Vines, Nylium, Hyphae, Wheat ETC.
After the success of enabling leaf decay, this change would allow players to build wheat farms with varying growth stages of wheat, Plant vines without them overtaking a base. This is a Creative only suggestion.

2 Likes

This would be nice. Would help a lot for build detailing and remove the need for spamming barriers to keep vines at bay

I honestly don’t feel strongly about either keeping it or freezing it, but for vines and hyphae etc, string can block their growth

1 Like

The only issue with strings is they’re slightly visible and even missing one placement on a large build can be very detrimental

I’m happy either way. How do others feel?

I agree with freezing the growth ticks. Using barriers and strings aren’t really a good alternative in my opinion, as the chance of misplacing and high and it can be a real pain the have to remove all the vines after being gone for some time. I don’t really see any downs keeping freezing the growth ticks, as all it does is make precisely placing vines easier and make farms looke more interesting and alive. Larger farms and long vines will be a bit of a burden to make, but I think it’s worth it over the pain of seeing your whole building covered in vines.

Yours truly,
a frequent vine user

While I do see the point here, I think I disagree. I recently built an absolutely massive farm and for aesthetic purposes, I need it fully grown. I as a donator do not have access to w/e so I cannot grow them all without doing it individually and having lowered tick speed would cause a process that is already quite tedious to be so much worse. I understand that this is a limited reason, but I feel that this could greatly affect those without access to world edit.
Edit: I would like to see the removal of snow falling and water freezing so if that was a part of this I am 1000% in

1 Like

I apologize for the latency of my reply to this post. Although this is a beneficial idea when you consider the issue of vines taking over. Another conflict arises. That being what Dragonboy highlighted, of crops needing grow ticks in order to grow. Unfortunately because of that issue I personally do not opt to support disabling grow ticks in the creative server. And there are additional functions of the game besides just crops that would be affected, such as: Grass/Mycelium spread, and farm soil can possibly not even saturate.

However if there is a full proof way to isolate the vine growth tick speed, and disable that. That would be a great option.

-Alexander Hamilton

1 Like

Necro - We’ll look at adding this, I’ll need to speak to some other staff about it.

I’ve gone ahead and siabled growth ticks as suggested. I can’t see a specific plag for Hyphae or Nylium, so let me know if they’re still growing. I’ve also adjusted snow and ice formation as mentioned by Jasper and Tedward.

To play off of what shrimp mentioned, crops cannot grow. we have some screenshots of crop failure from earlier today. this is what can happen when the tick is implemented. (they are taken 5 seconds after each other. Regularly the crop would be showing full growth instead of nothing at all)

Thanks Will! We’ll keep a note of that and if there are too many issues, we may have to rever these changes.

2 Likes

As someone who was recently making farms as a side-project, there is the serious drawback that Will mentioned, which I am now experiencing. People who want to make farms (in a rural or countryside project) cannot realistically make them. I was given help with planting grass and ferns as a substitutes for crops, but they do not remind me of anything like wheat or other crops within the game. That can be a restrictive issue for those who want to make countryside-themed projects in the creative map.

1 Like

As Bane already said, I was thinking of making farms, but according to what he said, this isn’t possible anymore. Due to the disabled growth ticks, grass doesn’t regrow and a big chunk of the plains biome near me, where I was planning on making the farms, is covered in big patches of dirt. Snow is turned off aswell which is a big part of my city. Due to it being disabled, I have to place the snow manually when I clear out land, or on the roof of buildings. Regular snow could’ve done that in no time.

1 Like

@Wairoa has made a few adjustments to try and reach a happy medium. Please let us know of any other issues by posting below.

1 Like

If you guys notice any other growth tick problems please send me a /mail in-game or ping me on discord and I’ll look into it.

1 Like

hey guys could we look at this again?
I’m currently making a farming area and thought it would be cool if we could disable growth tick so i could have more plant variation. and plus freezing vines make me happy.

1 Like

I think as now that most players can get access to world edit, we can probably disable growth ticks entirely. I’d like to get some other opinions to make sure we haven’t overlooked anything.

2 Likes

I’ve disabled vine-growth and crop-growth. LMK if that does the trick.