Building a PC, requesting help.

Okay, also…

The case itself has those twizzler-like cables that are individual plugin pins from each other, they have like Power+, Reset+ and all that jazz listed on each one. I think I located where they plugin but I just wanna make sure if it’s okay for them to be like that. Basically it looks like I randomly plugged them into some 16 pin on the motherboard.

What I’m mostly worried about is not having things plugged in right and turning on the power only for shit to go haywire and damage things. Just for precautions, is there ANYTHING I need to make sure is/isn’t plugged in wrong before turning on the power? Or will it be all right and just be like, an error thing and say shit is wrong and needs to be fixed?

Likely if you have things plugged in wrong it won’t start. Those cables you are talking about have to be plugged into specific locations on the motherboard (in that 16pin space). They should be labeled in the motherboard manual, and make sure they positive on the cable matches the positive on the motherboard. But as long as you plugged them all in the right place (somewhat random) everything should be just fine.

Mkay well today I did a complete clean up of my room and untangled cords so that my computer will be nice and tangle-free. I plugged in everything and it powered on. So if anything I know I plugged the power in correctly.

I bought the IDE to SATA that Kyle linked so I’ll be waiting for that to arrive before I can install an OS.

The only problem I think there might be is that my monitor didn’t act like it was plugged in. I don’t know if I need my CD drive connected with an OS CD in it, but I had my monitor plugged into the motherboard (not the graphics card) and it didn’t detect/show anything. I was honestly expecting a black screen with white text showing up and whatnot.

Either way, I’m all set up and just need to wait for that connector.

PS, apparently my power had one of those 8-hole cables directly connected to the power, and it can split apart to make just a 4-slot connector. Not to mention the damn thing says “CPU” on the side of the connector so I just completely overlooked it.

Edit: Oh and one teensy thing I forgot to mention.

So uh, I MIGHT have ruined my old hard drive but I think it’s just the connector area I possibly ruined. I don’t know if it’s after years of use or if I was being too harsh with plugging in/out, but I noticed that the L shape plastic on it was missing when I tried to plug in the SATA and one of the flat pins was bent downwards. I bent it back up and I found the L-shaped plastic piece. I put the piece back in its spot and I connected the SATA to it which actually managed to fit in nicely (thought it doesn’t ‘lock-in’ or be securely connected).

So what I’m asking here is did I just kind of ruin my old hard drive and lost any data on it? It would be a tragic loss for me and kind of a big inconvenience what with personally valuable data was on it, but I won’t lose sleep over it.

Is my data in it still safe and can it be repaired if I take it to someone?

welllp, it sounds like you will be
back in business really soon. Im looking forward to it! =3

If the pin was just bent and put back, then it’s probably fine. If your saying it is missing now, that might be a problem. I think it’s fixable?

They’re all there, I was able to put the L-shaped plastic back where it was and plug in the SATA. It felt like a firm connection, but it’s not solid in place. It can easily be pulled out if you move the hard drive around without holding the cable it’s connected to. So that’s where my concerns lie, if it will even connect and register to my motherboard.

Excuse the double post but this definitely needs attention.

I got my IDE to SATA part and plugged it in, turned it on, and nothing. After fooling around for a bit I don’t really understand why it’s not registering my optical drive. The power works, but no matter which SATA slot I plug it into, it doesn’t register at all.

I also went and plugged in my old hard drive and I can actually boot it up just fine. It loads my old OS and my data is all there which I’m extremely thankful for. Except I can’t connect to the internet because I don’t have the drivers for the ethernet, and I can’t get drivers for the ethernet because I’m not connected to the internet. I can’t use my driver CD either until my optical drive somehow registers to the motherboard.

So all in all, I’m kind of stuck here. What the hell am I doing wrong? The IDE to SATA adapter itself needs power, which I connected so it should have power. It’s connected to one of the SATA slots. But it refuses to register. I’m at a loss here.

im not a genius at this, but have you tried plugging an ethernet cable from the PC to the router/modem
to get your drivers? you may need a direct connection to start with, and then ween yourself onto Wireless

It’s already a wired connection. It won’t connect because it lacks the drivers to do so in the first place.

thats a weird limbo your stuck in Nek. Im sure Kyle or Sip know more about it than i do.

Windows 7 or above almost always have the drivers for LAN lately. Your only option to get the drivers is to use a flash drive. You need to look up your motherboard’s drivers and download the LAN ones. Stick it on a flash, and move it to the new PC.

As for why your CD drive won’t start? I have no idea. Are you using both the original power cable and the tiny one for the adapter?

I have a flash drive hut when I looked up drivers I kinda got lost as to what drivers I need. So uh, could you maybe link me to a safe site for drivers?

From the motherboard manufacturer.

http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4389#dl

This is the official DL page for your board. You almost never need CDs anymore. Just make sure you choose the right OS for the version you DL. I don’t recall what OS your sticking with for now.

If Win 7 64 bit - Realtek LAN Driver 7.049.0927.2011 3.48 MB
If Win XP 32 bit - Realtek PCIe LAN Driver 5.792.1208.2011 3.21 MB
There are others too. Once your online with it, we can TeamViewer if you need.

Okay I got it and all already. But goddamn I felt stupid. I was scanning all over the box like “Wtf does it mean socket?”. Then I found a little small black box with text on the bottom of the box in the bottom corner and it had all the info on it. I managed to find a driver for the Ethernet and transferred it to my PC with a flash drive. Voila, I’m now on my new computer.

Now the only problems I have left is to somehow transfer all of my important data to the new hard drive and then either move my OS to the SSD or completely install an OS from scratch to the SSD. Then there’s the case of my Optical Drive not registering for whatever reason. Could it be a driver issue or what?

Just guessing here, but couldn’t you somehow hook up your old HDD while still leaving the new one connected? like via USB or something? If you can do that then file transfers would be simple.

If not then a flash drive is always an option, depending on the sizes and amount of files of course.

Right now I’m running this computer through my old hard drive that has Windows 7 Ultimate on it. I also have the 1 Terabyte hard drive plugged in. It shows it on the bios but when I’m on the OS, I don’t see it under Hard Drives.

Anyway I can make it show up so I can use the damn thing?

Just to be clear, what is not usable? The terabyte drive or the SSD? I suggest installing from scratch. Always a cleaner option.

If it is a new HD, then no system will ever read it just like that. You need to format the thing so it’s usable.

Control Panel - Administrative tools (don’t click) - Create and format hard disk partitions. Find the new terabyte drive and choose format. Should be all you need. Defaults okay.

Usually optical drives don’t need drivers. They shouldn’t. When I get home I will expand on this to help…

Alright. I’m thinking I might need to buy a new Optical drive anyways. I think a Blu-ray one is hot nowadays?