Building a New PC - Thoughts/Comments?

Hey all,
I’m planning to replace my 6 year old PC in the next 4-8 weeks (watching out for AMD Ryzen and Vega stuff).
Just thought i’d see what everyone who knows their stuff would recommend? Im happy to spend around $2200.00 but after that i’d be pushing it.

This is what Im looking at:

Full PCPartPicker part list

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($494.00 @ Shopping Express)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X52 Liquid CPU Cooler ($199.00 @ PLE Computers)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z270-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($265.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LED 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($169.00 @ Umart)
Storage: Samsung 960 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($425.00 @ Umart)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Dual Video Card ($389.00 @ Shopping Express)
Case: NZXT S340 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($149.00 @ PLE Computers)
Power Supply: Corsair 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($175.00 @ Shopping Express)
Total: $2265.00

A 6 Year old PC? Damn bro this is long overdue

I’m no computer god but that looks purdy good
Are you planning to get a full gaming setup?

Its old but its okay.
its got an i7, 16gb ram, 128gb ssd, but they’re all 6 years old so its definitely due for replacement. Graphics card has been replaced recently with a GTX745 4GB that I picked up free (woooo free). But its just to carry me over until I build a new PC.

I have all new-ish stuffs basically except for my monitor.

I have a Logitech G510S Keyboard, G602 Mouse and a G430 headset - All of which serve my purposes. I may look at upgrading at the end of the year to a mechanical keyboard and a wireless headset.

My monitor is pretty old, but I don’t really care about having a fantastic monitor all that much. Will get something better when this one dies. Right now I have a Samsung 27" FHD LED monitor (T27A550) which is far from great but it serves me well.

I don’t know computers all that well and most of it is gibberish to me, but isn’t that case a bit expensive? I don’t have money to burn so I’d be getting a cheap case and spending the rest on better parts, but that’s my money situation.

Also off-topic, but we now have a Video Game board under the Misc Games section where a thread like this would definitely be welcomed in.

http://www.logicalincrements.com/

Check that site out and make sure to select Australia from the dropdown for accurate results.

Odd choice of top end i7 and the 1060, would go a bit higher on the gpu?

Form > Function

• Did you look at the cooler? its fucking great looking, im not hiding that shit away in a crappy case xD

Looks like most of the parts I picked are between outstanding and monstrous bar my GPU - yolo im too poor for a 1080.

I’m a bit tight on funds and do things other than gaming such as working from home and running my own stuff at the same time, so multitasking took priority. I had to trade 1 or the other so GPU came in second place. I thought i’d go with the 1060 and might upgrade at the end of the year to a 1080 or a Vega card when I have more funds.

There is a real mismatch between CPU and GPU there. If I were you, I would downgrade the CPU and upgrade the GPU to a 1070. Possibly even downgrade the CPU to a top-end i5, as the power benefits of the i7 are only applicable with really intensive stuff like rendering and data processing. Other than that, it looks like a good pick.

I got an expensive case for my new PC (with dampening foam), and it really is worth it. It was so much easier to install everything and it had fantastic cable management stuff.

I would take it a step further and say you don’t need a z270 chipset, there is no real difference for skylake vs kabylake intel CPUs. Get a LGA1151 board with the Z170 chipset if you’re deadset on having DDR4 RAM. Also as stated by others, the I7 is overkill unless you are doing things such as rendering high def images/movies (aka content creation). If you are not doing these things you do not need an I7. Get an I5 and overclock it with that AIO cooler you got.

My mock up build

Or, wait for Zen from AMD and see what their price points are going to be, because it looks promising.

Thanks for the input everyone, much appreciated :slight_smile: