Anti-caps plugin

Hello, I’ve noticed when playing on the server that spamming caps is not allowed and staff get very annoyed when caps are overused. However I think I have an idea to eradicate this problem, which would be to have an anti-caps plugin.

I’ve played on a few servers where a sentence typed in capitals is converted to a sentence with just the first letter of each word capitalised.

e.g. THIS SENTENCE IS IN CAPITALS = This Sentence Is In Capitals

I think it still emphasises the sentences, but just doesn’t look as uncivilised. This would also be less annoying when people accidentally type in capitals - we’ve all done it, right? This way people wouldn’t have to apologise so much, or get kicked for overusing caps.

I hope this hasn’t been declined before, I couldn’t see any similar suggestions. Also sorry I can’t provide you with any links for a plugin like this, it was just a thought. I definitely know plugins like this exist on servers like The Hive and SkyDoesMinecraft’s server I’m pretty sure.

Meanwhile, keep up the good work everyone. Your server is great :smiley:

I agree that spamming in caps is bad. But really, 1 line, really?

[15:32:32] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] §r§r<§r§7[Member] VirBinarius§r> SPELL IT RIGHT XKARVIS§r
[15:32:38] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] §r§r<§r§7[Member] Andres_12§r> caps§r
[15:32:39] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] §r§r<§r§a[$]§r§e[Mod]~§r§aMG§r§dW§r§folfy§r> caps§r
[15:32:42] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] §r§r<§r§a[$]§r§3[Trusted]~§r§dw§r§bh§r§fbilbo§r> caps§r

I said 1 line in caps.
4 responses (the other was a little furter down.
It seems, to me, like we are like, massively overreacting to caps.

You are right, I do believe some people are overreacting to caps. I don’t mind seeing the odd sentence or two; anything like “OMG DIAMONDS” or “HELP ME PLS” I have no problem with, but others do. When I do have a problem it’s when people write long sentences (5+ words) repetitively, especially when it’s the same sentence -_-

I just thought the plugin might keep the more picky people at rest? And it also strips away any power a malicious person may feel when using caps XD

This is the general caps policy that most servers follow, and I typically enforce.

Excitement caps are cool.
“OMG WE JUST KILLED THE ENDERDRAGON”

Caps that are essential to a joke, or generally funny are fine.
Person A: Chat is really quiet.
Person B: HOW ABOUT NOW

Caps in response to Octo’s links are acceptable.
Octo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPRfP_TEQ-g
Marco: OCTO WHAT WAS THAT
Ferf: OCTO WHY

Spam caps are NOT ok.
Spammer: HELP ME PLZ HELP ME PLZ HELP ME PLZ

Anger caps are NOT ok, especially when delivered to a staff member.
Asshat: MRFERF IS THE STUPIDEST OP EVAR
-or-
Asshat: WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU*

*Circumstance can change with something like this. If someone just got killed and lost a ton of diamond items in lava because of a trap or unwanted PvP, I’m not going to et angry at them. But in a situation like that, it is still always better to remain calm and not just assume rage mode. The more mature and respectful you are, the more likely someone is to help you out.

Finally, unless it is very vulgar, insulting, or lengthy, one line of caps should not be punishable. If I just accidentally type something with caps lock on, 3 people don’t need to yell out “CAPS!” It will become apparent when someone is actually abusing caps.

Good Idea!

Forgot to actually respond :stuck_out_tongue:

While I see the benefits of including a plugin like this, I think it’s better to have caps enabled, because otherwise it gets INSANELY annoying when you’re trying to covey a message that may include caps.

We just punish people for abusing them, simple as that.
It would be a lot better if /mute actually worked.

i think you mean Mod

Maybe he can see into the future XD

MrFerf and VirBinarus are both right. I see the why caps are allowed, and when people can use them. However it is extremely annoying when staff say “caps” after typing just a word or a short sentence in capitals. It’s not necessary. I’ve read the rules, I know to use capitals in moderation - you don’t have to remind me[size=2px]. :slight_smile:

More plugins = more lag= more caps spam = :o

Tbh I don’t think we need a plugin, Ferf I agree w/ what u said. and ChiPat It will cause more lag than we have rn and Excitement caps are fine. But, we wouldn’t need this what so ever because we have extremely great staff who would take care of spammers.

I agree

Some more examples of what not to do:

“GRIEF OMG GRIEF”
“I JUST ATE A CHICKEN NUGGET”

and the most annoying is, “HEY TWAN CAN YOU HELP ME HERE oh sorry caps” - just rewrite the sentence :stuck_out_tongue:

All T, all shade, all pink lemonade 8)

Mah mayn, dis is what it’s all about, appropriate use of caps is ok in my books, that’s why I do it sometimes to actually emphasise what i’m saying.

This is actually a reference to a series of appeals and complaint threads revolved around me. Go in the appeals or player reports section, and look for any threads created by “robski11”. It’s best to read in chronological order.

thx mayn <3

Scrolling through the feed of this argument, I think there are both ups and downs into adding this kind of plug-in. I definitely think that this is a good idea, because, (As VirBinarus said) tons of people over-react to caps, so this would be a good idea. ;D
However, Pahtwickgee has made a good point, because with another plugin, there will be more lag, :-\ and more downtime :-\ due to staff needing to add in this plugin and doing regular checks. I have done some research, and have found a good plugin that solves this problem in a variety of ways. :slight_smile:

Spoiler

http://dev.bukkit.org/bukkit-plugins/capslock/

Hopefully this has solved some arguments! :wink:

Cya!

[move][glow=green,2,300]-Anty_MC[/glow][/move]

Made Mr. Ferf’s post best answer. Those are excellent rules to live by.

I object to the proposed plugin not just because it is a plugin we don’t need, but because it infringes on the rights of players in a negative way. Remember how annoying the swear plugin was when it affected you for any reason? Yeah, this plugin would hinder legitimate use of CAPS. I don’t want to forcibly lock down player actions when there are other options.

I would rather someone be annoying with caps and earn a kick/ban from ignoring warnings than to not allow them at all.

KYLE HAS SPOKEN