worldedit

(Not from management discussion, just my input on this)

The problem with this is that to do this effectively, we’d have to make the limit very small, and at that point it wouldn’t even be worth having. Just as an example, say we limited it to 10,000 blocks as shrimp suggested. A 101 blocks sided square, or a 22 blocks sided cube would be more blocks than the limit. It becomes too small to effectively work with, so yes, you’d get access to worldedit commands, but you don’t get most of the functionality you were actually asking for.

Any kind of test we can come up with won’t be able to determine how well someone actually knows how to use worldedit. Sure, we can check that they know how to set and replace blocks or whatever, but that isn’t enough to make sure people, for example, know how to see if their selection is wrong before they enter a command.

And don’t even get me started on the brush tools. They are extremely difficult to use properly, and you can very easily and quickly make huge amounts of edits, to the point where you can’t even undo it any more (worldedit has a cap to the number of edits it saves in memory that can be undone using //undo) when you realise you made a mistake.

Even if we found effective solutions for all that, the server we currently have is not capable of having 10+ people all using worldedit at the same time. Plus, all these worldedits would need to be logged, adding even more strain. We hardly come close to reaching our donation goal for the current server, we’d need more to handle all this worldedit. As spec once said, we can either be an 80 slot server where most people can’t use worldedit, or an 8 slot server where most people can.

tl;dr:
In order to prevent accidents we’d have to limit w/e so much it’s not worth having.
Tests won’t prevent accidents either.
Brush tools cause even more problems.
Even if we got over the rest of the issues, the current server can’t handle it, and we don’t currently have the money for a suitable upgrade.

1 Like

What ruby said. If it were feasable, we’d have done it already. We’re not witholding it for our own amusement.

Although it sounds sounds like a great idea, I’m inclined to agree with Ruby. It would simply cause to much strain on the server.

As mentioned by Octo, if it was feasible it could be done but in this scenario it’s not.

A while ago I did a little digging due to some of the issues we even had months past before this discussion and I did find a helpful Mod. Its called World Edit CUI (Client-Side User interface). This allows the player to view what they have selected all the more before they even type a command. It is a Forge Mod and it is compatible with 1.11+ heres a link below.

https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/worldeditcui-forge-edition-2

And some screenshots from the website.

!

!

This is a valuable feature that I believe needs to be implemented regardless.

That is an entirely client-side mod which can already be used (and many do). Ruby’s post raised a number of other issues as well which would prevent widespread worldedit usage.

I am willing to believe the people of PCB would compromise not having //brush while //copy, //paste, //set, would alone have a large impact on builds.

While still being limited to 10,000, Yes it may be a small number but the road work and small details you could copy and paste with that limit would still be worth it in my view. You could indeed build the golden gate bridge within hours with that limit enforced. Much less time than up to 7 days which is the amount of time it took myself to build a bridge by hand in my city.

Then this would technically mean the server is not capable of a 100,000 block world edit all at once which it evidently can handle. As we watch staff members create cities using well over 300,000 block individual world edits it makes it difficult to understand why the server cannot handle smaller world edits. The only thing I see that can cause lag is the total blocks being placed per minute and with the amount of trusted’s logging in daily (within about 8-10 trusted’s on in hour intervals) that would seem reasonable.

Just addressing the points I’ve seen here so far:

I’ve seen a few times that the limit would be too small to be functional, and I disagree. World Edit is extremely powerful, but it can also be convenient, I would love to be able to place a 100 block long road, or stack a 10x5 section of a building a few times, or get rid of a tree in seconds rather than minutes, and that’s completely feasible with even just a 1000-2500 block limit. A small limit encourages smart use of the tool. Commands like brush and fill, and large copy/pastes should only be done by staff, but letting trusted members have access to quick sets, replaces, and stacks would be awesome, and save staff time. If a player needs more w/e than a small limit can provide, they can wait for a staff knowing that the privilege and role of w/e is different for different ranks.

Take my suggestion with a grain of salt, but I think a trial period with a low limit (1000-2500 blocks) w/e and a few blacklisted commands for trusted (brush, fill, etc.), could be easily implemented to see if it’s truly feasible. If we run into problems, it can be easily taken away.

Lastly, I think w/e abuse should be an instantly bannable offense, and w/e for trusted members should be strictly constructive, ie. to build stuff, not flatten land.

1 Like

We cannot even consider this until we can log worldedit, which we can’t do due to the massive strain it puts on the server. When we turned logging off, we had billions of records caused by worldedit which took up several hundred gigabytes. And this was just with only some staff. This meant that logblock was nearly unusable.

Then is there any possible way to turn off logging for specific players (that being staff members). I only see Logging to be used in cases of “who did it” but if the staff team is as trustworthy as its supposed to be then you wouldn’t need logs to know who did it, just ask. Then you could have some storage space for the Trusted’s logs.

No, it’s just an on/off thing. So there’s no way we could do that.

So this massive suggestion that is sought after by so many of us, and has been suggested time and time again for years; is blocked by a storage issue?

Yes. Because as it has been stated MANY TIMES, we cannot give out worldedit unless it’s logged and we can’t log because of the ridiculous amount of storage it uses.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.