Project City Build - QUALITY PROPOSAL

Too long; picture please:

Spoiler

Please correct if I’m wrong.

[hr]

Personal opinion

I don’t like A, (rant below)

Spoiler

As said by others, a test for players entering PCB goes against so much of what PCB appears to be. It also just makes joining long and annoying.

I don’t like B, (rant below)

Spoiler

Sounds a bit like crufts for cities to me. Yes we ended up with a bulldog that looked like what they think a bulldog should look like, but it does have breathing problems.

I don’t like C, (rant below)

Spoiler

warpism. Also, you’re just adding a mess of red tape. People want to come here and build what they want, not having to work their way through getting a warp to grow.

I must be pro-D then.

About freeing up space: my suggestion would be to have “Centralised buldozing thread” where they are settled on a case-by-case basis.

I support option D by Lewis. Placing stricter rules on members would decrease our chances of keeping new members on PCB.

My thoughts exactly on this.

It’s explicitly stated in the warp requirement thread now that you MUST get approval from the first 3 staff (and staff are supposed to place a deny sign on the warp approval board so other staff can see)

Haven’t read the proposal completely, but will modify once I see it.
I believe that:
a) Players need to cooperate more. The number of towns on the Creative map at the moment can testify for this.

b) New members are… trouble. We have members building a “skyscraper” and “road” and have it protected by city regulations. [note: find a solution for this]

c) We need a general classification of towns. This will: i] encourage players to expand their cities, thus cooperating with other players and solving §a; ii] give a goal-based system for expanding towns which will motivate players; and iii] clearly define what is a “city” and what is not.

d) In order to solve §a we need to have more builders whom build with higher-quality. I believe that, although some players, such as Estevao, have volunteered themselves to help other, newer players to improve their buildings, we need more players helping newer and less experienced players. However, this requires a solution to §a and creates a catch-22.

Edit: Read the paper. I am going to say I vouch for Option C, but I would like to see staff members set up a official warp, accessible from Spawn (CSpawn/SSpawn), to a place where we can feature tips for members to improve their building, maintained by staff members.
Also, I would like to see Guides and Staff bring new players on a tour of the major towns on the server, a act that I have seen working on other servers and would like to see work here, too. Such a tour might be the difference between new players leaving early, without considering registration, and them giving PCB a chance.
Also, I’d like to see optional player committees being set up - such as “public infrastructure committee”, “chat committee”, etc, etc, each led by a staff member. This will make players feel part of PCB.

All in all:
Greater cooperation between players. Set up player committees led by staff members. Set up building guide area. Give a tour of major cities to new players. Classify towns; warps more restricted based on classification.

I could have a stab at the others but this one is the closest to me.

Spoiler

Whatchu gonna do 'bout it?

How is it categorised?
Is it a city?
Is it protected from others claiming it?

EDIT: No, Asmodean_ it’s mine

Firstly,

This particular case is hilarious because I’m fairly sure it’s Max’s, and I can just ask him about it tomorrow.

Anyway, option A is far too draconian. If you want serious restrictions, go to Keralis.

Honest answer? idk
I saw this server doing it (well) and I thought that it was very applicable to PCB.
Measurable, physical things such as “having a park” and “having a station” can be helpful in classifying towns.
Consideration for other themes can also be integrated into the classification system.

Lyra’s suggestion

Overall goal is to improve quality of the creative map.

Creative:
-Make requirements for obtaining a warp stricter, as well as focusing them more on ensuring quality of builds.
-Warps that have been inactive for a year are up for removal. The owner is notified. If they don’t successfully appeal, the warp is removed and buildings are deleted or given to other cities.
-Cities/structures without warps are up for removal after 6 months of inactivity. They have the appeal option as well.
-Condense map space by having mapscache, redstoneplayground, bannerbank, headbank, freebuild, pixel, treenursery, caryard, and events and competitions such as 20cubed and spleef all in the same place. Also, a fair amount of them could stretch up or down, and be stacked on top of others. /warp utilities could be a good name.
-Possibly advertise /warp freebuild more; it has potential to be a common and helpful place to test out new ideas or just build whatever’s on your mind. It would probably be cleaned out every month or two.

Survival:
-No /fly
-lewis turn off invulnerability bish
-Perhaps make the next map a bit smaller?
-No tp/tpa/tppos
The idea is to force players to work together with the limited space they have. Without flying, they would be inclined to build intracity infrastructure for transportation. Credit for idea goes to Wairoa.
-Have adminshop sell more items, as long as it wouldn’t mess up the economy. Sell me nonrenewables!
-Also move /warp collision to sspawn. I have no idea why it’s in a random corner of the map.

Big City:
-Have posted suggestions for builds and tasks to complete.
-Give more people influence in decisions. Like Lyra.
People should be more motivated to work in BC (and crowd creative less) if they know what to do and have some power there.

-Give guests /tpa and /warp

Problem: Removal of structures will most likely leave unnatural terrain disruptions. Have some people assigned to go around and try to make it look better? I’d be willing to be the cleanup crew, although having worldedit would help. :3

Question: what’s stopping us from expanding like 10km in every direction? I guessing it would be too much strain on the server, someone confirm/deny please.

Question: is there any need to have the market in a separate world? Having fewer worlds is generally better, right?

Why bump it when the last response was only yesterday?