Demons Dont Sleep on Sofa's

update for you while im borrowing my dads net to try and fix my ps3 :slight_smile:

Chapter 6

Shuffling uncomfortably from foot to foot I took yet another deep, steadying breath as I stared at the red oak door in front of me. Death had been gone for nearly a week straight; returning sometime last night. And now I found myself outside of his bedroom for some reason. With the events of our last meeting fresh in my mind, I was a bundle of nervous anticipation. A treacherous desire floated to the edge of my mind, wondering if I should call Luneth here for support; quickly I pushed the idea away. He had taken to ‘going on patrol’ around the grounds around this time of day lately, though he still wouldn’t tell me what the danger was. Besides, Death had summoned me here with a polite little note delivered by my adorable pet Soul, instead of bursting in and dragging my out with his scythe, so he probably wanted civil conversation instead of my extermination. One could only hope.

“Are you planning on standing there all day? I must admit it would make my plans for you rather difficult” I jumped a little as Death opened the door a crack to talk to me. I dropped my hand back down to my side and chuckled nervously, having been caught dithering. Without another word my landlord opened the door wide and motioned for me to enter with a dramatic bow. Nerves forgotten, I entered his lair, curiosity getting the better of me.

I wasn’t sure what I had been expecting, But the spacious and meticulously clean room that I had stepped into certainly wasn’t it. (Against his instructions I had started with cleaning all the unused rooms, instead of just charging into the owned ones – considering one resident hated me already it was preferable) Death had clearly taken the best room in the house for himself. A large balcony window took up almost the entire wall opposite the door and the natural light that flooded in accentuated the pale blue dĂ©cor well. To my left was a queen-sized bed, covered in grey sheets. To my amusement the quilt was covered in the same smiley faces I saw on a pair of his boxers I had found the other day. There was a low shelf on the far side of the bed, covered in varying bleached white skulls, most of which I couldn’t even begin to name. More disturbingly, I couldn’t tell if it was some sort of trophy collection, or his hat collection.

But it was what lay to my right that amazed me most. The entire right side of Death’s bedroom was like a walk in wardrobe. There were racks upon racks of clothes of various designs and colors – most of which actually looked quite feminine. A large workbench sat in the middle of it all, scissors and various other fabrics and decorations littered the desk around a sewing machine that had obviously seen a lot of love. It was completely natural for me to be in complete awe of Death and his collection of clothes in that moment. I was a girl in my late teens, living in a large manor very far away from any kind of civilized society. Stuck wearing the few scraps of clothes Luneth had thought to fetch me the day after we arrived; a couple of jeans and a few tank tops mostly.

I noticed Death observing my reaction and remembered to close my mouth. There was a glint of pride in his eyes which was when the realisation that he had actually made all of these himself actually hit me.

“I thought you would like it!” He chuckled as I dared venture towards the clothes and run my hands through them, to both browse and to check they were real. I was elated to find that they were, don’t get me wrong, I don’t usually get all gung-ho over clothing, but you don’t understand how amazing it was to see all this when I was feeling a bit deprived of my ability to choose my own clothing. I snapped my attention back towards him when he spoke, forcing my hands back to my sides,
“Death, this is amazing. A bit extreme for a hobby, but amazing! However, if you are just showing me these to gloat I’m afraid I’ll be very put out” I couldn’t hold back the faint longing in my voice as my eyes flicked back over his creations.

The look on Death’s face made me realise I was going to regret ever wanting to wear those clothes. It was the look of a man who had finally found some rare game he had been hunting. I was going to be wearing those clothes, if the way he was flying through his racks and throwing piles of them on the bed was any indicator. Slowly I began to back up, as much as I wanted new clothes, I didn’t fancy myself his dress-up doll.

“On second thoughts
I just remembered Luneth wanted an entire turkey roast for lunch so I should really make a start on it now
” At that he froze, his expression changing from exuberant, to horror, to heartbroken, before finally settling on determined. He whipped around to face me, a French maid outfit in his hands and advanced.

“I’ve been waiting forever for us to have an absolutely adorable resident!” He grabbed my wrist to stop me from pouting, shoving the outfit into my hands before pulling me further back into the room, “I love cute things! And I cannot stand the idea that someone as cute as you is going to be walking around in
.that” he made a vague motion towards my clothes with disinterested disgust. I stared down at the maid costume nervously. Death was like a hurricane, and you couldn’t help but be swept up. I was going to end up in this- and whatever else he had planned – whether I liked it or not. ‘Oh God
what if Luneth saw this?’ the thought was fleeting but enough to kick my nerves up another level. ‘Why does what he thinks of it matter? You know you’ll end up finding this fun, if a little embarrassing.’ I could hear my heart pounding loudly in my ears as I attempted one last time to wriggle out of this dress-up game. What? I couldn’t just roll over and get into it too quickly; he might try this every day otherwise.

“But
I’m not really into cosplay
” My weak protest was dismissed with another push into the room, Death himself walking towards the door – either to give me privacy or to prevent my escape.

“You will wear my clothes, you will look adorable in them, and you will have fun. If you refuse I will deliver Soul to heaven like I was supposed to. Having all of these here with no one to wear them is a waste! The clothes will get sad! From now on I will pick one for you to wear, every day!” He looked like he was having fun, despite his threat. Clearly the Shinigami had been waiting for an opportunity like this for a very long time. I wasn’t willing to gamble Soul over an argument over clothes, and Death was as unpredictable as his kitchen. No matter what I did I WAS going to lose this battle, might as well accept defeat before I lost anything other than my dignity.

I tugged nervously at the hem of my dress under the scrutiny of Death. Heat graced my cheeks as I felt his delighted gaze appreciate his work. I was thankful he had been unable to find his camera for the time being. The maid outfit had been shorter than I had initially realised, and I couldn’t help but keep trying to pull it lower, hoping the material would stretch. Admittedly, I adored the knee-length boots he had given me after my insistence that I was absolutely not ready to try wearing garter and stockings. I also was not used to wearing any type of corset, and the outer half-corset Death had added to this was taking some getting used to, though I did secretly enjoy that the thing made my average chest look a little more impressive. Not that anyone other than my quirky landlord was going to see. Ever.

“Oh this arrangement is going to be so epic! Just wait until Julien returns from his trip to France! He has an uncanny way with hair, you’re going to be so adorable Rowan!” The man suddenly picked me up and spun me around, much to my surprise. Apparently he could no longer contain his excitement. ‘Julien?’ Before I could turn that thought into a question the door burst open with nearly enough force to split the wood.

“ROWAN! I’LL SAVE YOU!” The ferocious silver haired demon roared as he charged in, hands already lit up with lightning. Guess he got worried about the very irregular beating of my heart since I knocked on Death’s door over an hour ago. Oops. He trailed off and came to a complete halt upon seeing the scene he had intruded on. Death still had me held in the air, and my face was still bright red. I quickly looked away as I felt my nerves creep back, wishing once again that I could read what went on in his mind.

“Luneth! Perfect timing!” Death said cheerfully, as he slowly put me down. He placed both hands on my shoulders and gave me a shove towards my guardian “Rowan has very kindly offered to be my new hobby!”

“You didn’t give me much choice” I mumbled in retort, glancing at Luneth out of the corner of my eye, he had hidden half of his face with his hand, obscuring my ability to read any sort of reaction from him. His attention was completely focused on Death, and was rather confused when I felt brief disappointment. ‘Guess I didn’t need to worry about what he might think, guy won’t even look at me’

“I know Rowan is cute, but are you trying to kill me?” Death just smiled knowingly at him in response.

Death, Luneth and Leo sat around the dining room table, the latter had thankfully emerged in a pair of jeans when the landlord had summoned us all there after this morning’s shenanigans. I finished serving them all tea – annoyingly appropriate considering I still had to wear the embarrassing maid outfit – before sitting down myself, as far away from Leo as possible. No reason to make him more grouchy than usual. Luneth was still making a point of looking anywhere but at me, but I had decided that was completely fine. I would make this a game. I’ll try my best no matter what Death sticks me in, I would win when Luneth felt unable to look away. Least I would feel good and have fun at the same time while playing it.

Soul sleepily floated over to my shoulder from wherever she had been napping this time, just as Death cleared his throat to speak.

“Hello! Hello! Lad’s and ladies of my household! We may be few, but we are most certainly family! Ah yes, family, lovely warm things those, so I’ve heard
 yes! Anyway! Thought I’d gather you all to let you know that our last resident, Julien will be returning from France in three days! Hooray~” As he made his announcement, I noticed Leo go completely rigid, as if this Julien person terrified him. I cocked my head slightly as I allowed myself to think further on it. ‘Just who or what exactly could make a walking explosion of anger like Leo freeze up, just by name? A woman? No this ‘Julien’ couldn’t be female
if it were a female I imagine he’d get all verbal
 or was that mainly because I was ‘human’? Perhaps then this Julien is a terrifying individual? Would Death really allow someone like that here? Then again there ‘Black Death’ so its possible
’ I got so lost in my thoughts I hadn’t realised that Death had kept talking until Leo growled out a complaint.

“WHAT!? No! I don’t want to! Why do I have to babysit that?” He pointed at he as he spoke, “I’d even be willing to put up with Julien, make the demon brat babysit! Let me go too!” Death shook his solemnly, expression serious.

“Not happening, with circumstances as it is, when Julien returns I will take him and Luneth with me, and we will take care of it. I’ve let it be long enough, but with Rowan as a ‘demon heart’ happy meal, I will need to remove it completely before it finds a way to act.” I wished I had been paying attention. Even Luneth a serious frown on his face, the kind he got whenever he was deep in thought about whatever trouble I was in. the kind of look he got on his face when I thought I wasn’t looking. Leo didn’t look satisfied with Death’s answer, which was when the Shinigami threw his hands up in frustration.

“Heavens take me, Leo! I’m not exactly asking you to spend the day hugging her! You’ll keep an eye on her in three days’ time whether you like it or not! Your skills are better suited to defence, and when it realises we are hunting it, it’ll do everything it can to reach her before we reach it! Buck up or you’ll have to hunt for your own souls!”

Leo’s face soured as he turned his begrudged glare upon me, spat out a venomous ‘fine’ and stalked out. Apparently he responded better to threats than logic, or at least hated humans enough to not want to feed off them directly.

I still had no clue what was happening though. As usual.